Thursday, September 17, 2009

Writing a letter to the paper

I have written one or two letters to magazines in the past.  I have an urge to write a letter to the Statesman but because the issue and individual involved is directly tied to my work I won't.

I will air my thoughts here.  The story involves an illegal alien who was allegedly driving drunk and killed an innocent man.  So far the news has blamed the following  - APD, the Travis Co. DA and Immigration.  I haven't seen mention of the driver (who has pled guilty to 3 DWI's in the recent past but because of circumstances beyond the court's control, was not serving time) being held accountable.  The issue has nothing to do with whether he was legal or not in this country...it has to do with the fact that he has a drinking problem, hasn't acknowledged it, hasn't personally sought out help and doesn't accept personal responsibility for his actions.  If he doesn't want to stop drinking, that's fine.  He just needs to stop driving, with or without a license (he has never had one).  He is in jail with a 1st degree murder charge.  Hopefully he will go to prison for a really long time and when he gets out and is deported to the Honduros, he will be too old and feeble minded to bother coming back.

No comments: