Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tired Legs Part 2

Had a day off on Monday and had intended to do some core and roll my legs. Unfortunately I slept to late and had no time.

Tuesday - 1/2 mile wu, 30 min core, 1 mile hills, 1 mile HMGP (track) x3, 1/2 mile cool down.
Core was uneventful. As we started the first 1 mile hill loop, I knew my easy pace was way too slow but my legs were dead. Did what I could. Slow on the first lap of the mile of HMGP and Karen told me not to sweat the time that I could make it up on the last lap. OK. HMGP is supposed to be 7:15...1st lap 7:04 (oops!!). I pushed a little harder on the second hill loop but my legs were pretty uncooperative. At this point though, I knew I would not have a problem making the HMGP pace. On the second repeat of that I felt myself sliding into the same routine of slogging along on the first 2 laps and was thinking I did not need to do the hard 400m push to make my time again. So I picked up the pace at the 800m mark and resisted pushing really hard for the final 200m - time 7:21. Megan pushed me on the 3rd hill loop and I ran a much more honest pace (didn't time the hill loops, went by effort) and then on the 3rd track repeat Megan was on my heels for the first lap - her goal time is slower than mine so I knew I had to pick it up. My watch malfunctioned (ie I pressed the wrong button!) so Megan watched me cross the finish and said it looked like sub 7:20...I'll take 7:15. That took a 1200m effort this time. I need to practice having a consistant pace on the track. Overall I am really pleased with my effort. I learned a few things...if my legs are still turning over easily, I have plenty of gas left. I never felt like I was struggling on the track even if the slower, easy miles felt tough.

Tomorrow after my easy recovery run I will do another ice bath to try and recover for Thursday's 80 minutes of hell!

No comments: