Saturday, October 24, 2009

Best Soul Buster Yet

OK it was a mini soul buster for those doing the 1/2 marathon in San Antonio.  But I felt like I achieved the objectives well.  Started at NW Park.  Easy warm up to Lamar Middle School Track and then 1 mile at 10K pace.  No problem.  Eight miles of long run pace - as Karen said "no butt dragging".  Ran with Josh, Brandon, Jeff, Megan.  Brandon and Jeff ran about 50 feet in front of us until Hancock and Balcones.  I felt that I needed to run a little smarter than that.  No butt dragging going on, just being smart.  Since I have only ever run Hancock from west to east, it was a bit of a surprise to see how much a long rise that is.  Once we had water at the bakery, I ran up front with Jeff and Brandon.  Kept up no problem up North Hills (or maybe they were just being kind).  We were disciplined on Far West being sure not to run too fast as I did not want to trash my quads.  Reined ourselves in along Shoal Creek and ended up back at the track.  Following our instructions, I did not stop.  Just accelerated onto the track and up to HMGP.  Ist mile no problem.  2nd mile a little tougher.  The 2 miles at 10K pace were close but not quite were they should have been.  I put out good effort and never gave up.  Passed Josh and almost lapped Brandon before he realized I was 100m behind him and stood on the gas.  All in all a great run!!  Enjoyable breakfast at Elsie's afterwards.  They do make the best pancakes!  Best part - after all the hideous soul busters I have done in 100% humidity, the weather was freaking perfect!

No comments: